SMOKING IN CALYPSO DEL SOL!
Smoking is not allowed in Calypso del Sol. Guests may smoke outside on the balcony or on the grounds. Guests who smoke indoors will be charged a fee of $350 to cover the cost of cleaning and “de-contaminating” the house. Obviously, no drugs or hazardous materials are allowed on Villa property.
and Confirmation.A 50% deposit of gross rental plus the U.S. Virgin Island’s hotel tax (12.5%) is due 10 days after verbal confirmation of the reservation. When deposit is received, a written confirmation will be mailed, emailed, or faxed.
Final balance is due 60 days prior to travel date.
If reservation is made less than 60 days before arrival, total payment is due no later than 5 days after verbal confirmation of reservation.
Mailing address for payments:
Make checks payable to Calypso del Sol
Mail them to
355 Club View Drive
Great Falls, Virginia 22066
Deposit. A $350 damage deposit is due before arrival. Deposit will be refunded less any damage and less charges for long distance calls made during your stay. Charges for damage will include damage to furnishings, cleanup from smoking at $250 for decontamination per room, etc.
Capacity of Villa. The maximum number of guests permitted to stay in the Villa is restricted to 6, unless specific permission for additional guests (including young children sleeping in cribs) has been obtained in advance. If additional guests stay over the number scheduled, $300 per additional person will be charged.
In the event
you cancel your reservation for any reason, you are still responsible
for your full rental amount unless a replacement rental is obtained
for Calypso del Sol.
Notice of cancellations must be sent in writing.
Should you cancel for any reason and if we ARE able to find a replacement
rental, we will refund whatever you have paid prior to the cancellation
less 10% of the full rental rate as a service charge. If you cancel
less than 90 days before your reservation date, the service charge will
be 20% of the full rental rate.
No monies will be refunded unless a replacement rental is obtained.
Trip Cancellation Insurance. We strongly recommend
that you purchase trip cancellation insurance. No shows, late arrivals,
changes in the number of persons in your group after arrival, and early
departures are all non-refundable. No refunds will be granted unless
there is a serious problem with the Villa that cannot be fixed in 24
- If you are
making a reservation to stay at Calypso del Sol during the hurricane
season, June 1 – November 30, we strongly recommend that
you purchase trip cancellation insurance that will cover you in case
of a natural disaster.
- If a hurricane
is threatening St. John and ONLY IF WE ADVISE YOU NOT to travel
to St. John, we will either refund the full amount we have
received to date or we will hold your balance on account as a credit
toward a future stay at Calypso del Sol, as you prefer. You will not
be refunded for any other circumstances.
- If you are staying at Calypso del Sol and if predictions indicate a hurricane is headed our way, we will notify you to leave St. John before the storm is upon us. If we notify you to leave, you must not delay your departure, as delay may make it difficult to get a departing flight. GUESTS MAY NOT REMAIN IN THE VILLA DURING A HURRICANE. If you have not been able to get a flight, you may need to check into a St. Thomas hotel that is equipped with an emergency generator. In this emergency situation, you must make your own reservations, although we will try to help. We will either send you a pro-rated refund of your rental and your hotel tax from the day you vacate Calypso del Sol, or if you prefer we will hold the pro-rated amount on account as a credit for a future/return stay.
- Smoking is not allowed in Calypso del Sol. Guests who smoke indoors at Calypso del Sol will be charged a fee of $250 per room to cover the cost of “de-contamination”.
- Phone Calls. Local calls are free, and you do not need to use an area code. For long distance calls, guests are to use their own credit card; if any long distance calls are charged to the house number, the cost will be deducted from the deposit before it is returned.
- Damage to the Villa or Furnishings. Guests are asked to treat the Villa and its indoor and outdoor furnishings with care, as in their own home. Guests are expected to use coasters on the furniture and not to place heavy or rough items on the furniture. If furniture or furnishings are broken or missing, or if there is damage beyond normal wear and tear to the Villa or its furnishings, we will deduct from the deposit an amount that will allow us to replace the broken/damaged/missing item.
- Pets are not allowed in Calypso del Sol.
- Orderliness of the Villa. Generally, new guests arrive a few hours after “old” guests depart. This means that cleaning and getting the Villa ready for the new guests must be done quickly. Hence, guests are asked to leave the Villa in an orderly manner. Please wash all dirty dishes as you leave. Please leave used linens in the bedrooms. Rearranging the furniture or removing any items from the Villa is prohibited. Guests will be charged for broken or missing items, and will be charged an additional fee for cleaning if the Villa is left in a state that requires additional cleaning or repairs.
- Your Damage Deposit LESS ANY EXTRA CHARGES will be returned to you as soon as the telephone bill is received and cleared for the period in which you stayed in the Villa; any deductions will be explained. Charges over and beyond what is covered by the security deposit will be billed to the guest and must be paid promptly.
The owners of Calypso del Sol assume no liability for property loss or damages, nor liability for injury, accidents, or delays to guests. Furthermore, guests are responsible for Calypso del Sol during occupancy, and must lock the Villa’s windows and doors securely when not on the premises, and must conduct themselves in a judicious and responsible manner.
Transportation (airlines, ferries, charter vessels, rental cars, and taxis) is supplied by providers who operate independently of Calypso del Sol. We assume no responsibility, therefore, for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property because of the acts of the transportation providers.
ARRIVING AT CALYPSO
time is 3:00 pm or later.
Check-out time is 10:00 am.
Information about ferry schedules can be obtained online
- The passenger ferry runs from Red Hook in St. Thomas to Cruz Bay and back. The first boats leave Cruz Bay at 6:00 and 7:00 am. The first boats leave Red Hook at 6:30 and 7:30 am. Then, boats leave every hour on the hour both ways. The last boat leaves Cruz Bay at 11:00 pm, and Red Hook at midnight. The ferry takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- A passenger ferry also runs from Downtown St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie) to Cruz Bay and back; the trip takes about 45 minutes in each direction.
- There are also two car ferries that run from Red Hook to Cruz Bay.
- We will meet you at the ferry dock when you arrive on St. John. We will need information about your expected arrival time, and you will be given the name and cell phone number of the person who will meet you. Please make sure to contact us with information about your arrival time on St. Thomas or other arrangements so we can meet up with you to give you the key to the Villa, help you get to the Villa, explain procedures, etc.
Rental Cars Most guests rent a car for exploring the
island. There are numerous rental car agencies on St. John, most located
in Cruz Bay.
SERVICES AT THE VILLA
- Nancy and Ernie Clendinen are on call if assistance is needed or a problem occurs. Nancy’s cell phone number is 340-514-2822; Ernie’s cell phone number is 340-690-0213.
- What is provided at the Villa?
- All linens, including sheets, beach towels, bath towels, bed covers
- Hair dryers are in each bathroom
- A safe is provided for storage of personal valuables
- In the living room, cable TV and VCR/DVD; movies (VCR and DVD); stereo/CD player
- The kitchen is fully equipped for cooking
- Beach chairs and coolers for your use
- The Villa is completely cleaned before new guests arrive.
- Service/Repairs. From time to time, maintenance personnel including the pool cleaners and the landscaping company must stop by the Villa to make repairs. Every effort is made NOT to disturb guests, but on rare occasions a repairman other than landscaping or pool maintenance must enter the Villa when guests are there. This will ONLY occur with advance permission of guests.
- Pool Service and Grounds Maintenance. Pool service normally occurs on Saturdays, and grounds maintenance occurs weekly. From time to time this may take place during a guest’s stay but every effort will be made not to disturb guests.
- Power Outages. Occasionally, St. John suffers briefly from power outages. Should this occur, flashlights are in each bedroom for the use of guests. Please do not flush toilets or use electricity during these periods.
- Water Conservation and Water Problems. Water conservation is an important part of life on St. John. Some water is hauled in from St. Thomas, but mostly rainwater is collected in cisterns under the house. PLEASE USE ONLY WHAT YOU NEED. We sometimes experience water shortages and beg your indulgence. If the house has no water, please call Ernie Clendinen. It may just be that we need to switch cisterns. Note that Calypso del Sol has a “grey water cistern” filled by runoff from the street. Grey water is NOT FOR DRINKING. All grey water faucets are clearly labeled; this water is used for toilets only.
Calypso del Sol is rented to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties or functions such as weddings, meetings, or parties involving outside individuals are allowed without advance WRITTEN permission from the owners.